Square PomPom Beanie

Well now that football is behind us and its now time for basketball, I decided to make something for basketball fans out there. I don't know about you but I like UNC Tar heels so I started with blue and made this cute little "square beanie" . Its different from the regular round cap beanies. This one has more style and cuteness with the double pompoms to add to the fun.


I will share with you how I did it. This is not a pattern. It's more like just an instruction, but if you can chain stitch, single stitch and double stitch, you can make this easily.

Unlike a round beanie where you start from the top and work your way down, This one you start at the rim and work your way up.

You can make it as big around as you want but I planned for mine to be for a little one. which is came out to be about 15 inches around

First I made 46 chains and joined them together with a slip stitch. be careful not to twist it. I had to keep redoing mine until it was not twisted. I still don't think I really figured it out, It just finally worked.

Then I chained one and did three rows of single stitches. At the end of each row, I would slip in the top of the chain one, then chain one to start the next row.

When I was ready to start double stitches, I did the same but chained two at the beginning of each row then double stitched, repeating this until I finished.

I did as many rows as I needed to make it about 7 inches deep.

To finish it up I turned it inside out and used a yarn needle to whip stitch the top closed.
I turned it right side out and attached pompoms to the corners. You can also add bows, scrap strips or strings to the corners to make it unique.
Here is a video how make a yarn pompom. Video

If you cant crochet but would love to have one of these. I may have one or more in my Etsy shop soon using different color combinations.

Ive shared this at:
made-by-me-66-linky-party-and-features at jaqsstudio
under-100-linky-party at beyondthepicketfence
link-party-friday craftionary
get-schooled-saturday at too-much-time
clever-chicks-blog-hop
Make it pretty at thededicatedhouse

3 comments

  1. So cute and warm looking........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete